Alberta Innovates - Innovative Hydrocarbon Products
This program consists of three sub-programs aimed to add value to hydrocarbon resources that will contribute to Alberta’s prosperity in a low carbon, global economy.
How Much Funding?
Typically 25%-50%, to a maximum of $2M
- Technology developers and industries, industrial associations, SMEs, R&D organizations with relevant projects
- Not required to be based in Alberta, but must demonstrate a clear value proposition for Alberta
Eligible Activities & Expenditures
Projects that contribute to Alberta's hydrocarbon resource value through innovation while securing long-term future for Alberta's oil sand resources in a new economy
Eligible project types:
- Contribute to Alberta's hydrocarbon resource value while securing long-term future for Alberta's oil/sand resources in a new economy (improved hydrocarbon products' quality and value)
- Add value to Alberta's bitumen while increasing pipeline capacity and reducing industry operating costs and lifecycle GHGs
- Convert natural gas into higher value products (e.g. liquid fuels, hydrogen)
- Convert bitumen into high-value non-fuel products for economic growth and diversification
A part of the Clean Energy division - ongoing intak