The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) is a taxable cash grant of $1,000 per year or level, up to two levels, for a lifetime maximum amount of $2,000 per person, available to registered apprentices once they have successfully finished their first or second year/level (or equivalent) of an apprenticeship program in one of the designated Red Seal trade.
An apprentice can receive up to two Apprenticeship Incentive Grants (a lifetime maximum of $2,000 per person). You can apply for the AIG after completing your first and second years/levels (or equivalent). Proof of progression for both technical and on-the-job training is January 1 to December 31, 2018. Deadline for submitting the AIG is June 30th 2019.
- increase access to apprenticeships in the Red Seal trades by helping apprentices cover expenses such as the purchase of tools and other materials required for learning on-the-job and travel expenses associated with classroom training;
- encourage progression through the technical and on-the-job training requirements in the early years of their apprenticeship program, building momentum toward certification; and
- promote interprovincial mobility by increasing the number of apprentices who remain in the Red Seal trades and get their Red Seal
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person
- High school students are not eligible
- Registered apprentices with employer/or training trust fund/or union training centre/or joint apprenticeship training committee, and the apprenticeship authority
- In the Red Seal trade program that is designated as such in the province or territory where registered as an apprentice
- Can show supporting documents that prove successful completion of the first or second year/level