The automotive industry in Ontario has been a backbone for manufacturing in the province. Ontario is known as the engine of Canada’s economy, and Ontario’s automotive industry accounts for about 90% of Canada’s national automotive manufacturing GDP. Not only is Ontario a key driver of Canada’s automotive manufacturing industry, but automotive manufacturing is also an important component of the provincial economy.
The Ontario Automotive Modernization Program has been designed as a partnership between small and medium sized automotive parts suppliers in Ontario and the Ontario government. The program will provide funding to businesses to modernize Ontario’s automotive supply chain. This is being done to make the supply chain more competitive and responsive to the changing needs of the world economy.
Type of Funding available
Companies will receive up to $150,000 to cover up to 50% of eligible project costs. Funding from this program cannot be stacked with other provincial programs. Funding from this program may be stacked with funding from federal sources so long as the combined total does not exceed 50% of the total project cost.
- Be a for-profit business (with a business number)
- Have less than 500 employees in Ontario
- Have less than $1 Billion in global revenues
- Have a minimum of 2 consecutive years of financial statements (auditor or accountant reviewed)
- Have at least 50% of the company’s total sales revenue be from the auto supply sector
- Process Technology Adoption
- Implementing advanced manufacturing hardware, software and/or training processes and competitiveness
- Tools and Technologies to Support New Product Development
- Adoptions of technologies to assist with the engineering and design on new products such as Computer-Aided Design & Computer-Aided Manufacturing systems. Finite Element Analysis software, Design for Manufacturing tools, rapid-prototyping tools or other tools to support the New Product Introduction process
- Lean Manufacturing
- Improving operational efficiency and competitiveness by adopting lean manufacturing techniques and hiring the services of a mentor/consultant to help with lean implementation
- In addition, projects must also:
- Be achievable; applicants must have the necessary financing, project management structure and experience to implement the project
- Align with O-AMP’s goals; job creation, revenue increases, cost savings, contributions to regional or automotive sector development
The current intake period is open until January 17, 2023, all applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. EST on this date to be considered for this intake period.